Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Hopper Soup

I finally got around to cooking some rabbit. I decided to make soup in the crock pot. It wasn't any special recipe, I just used what we had on hand. It turned out very good, and tasted just like chicken.

Here is how how I made it.

Ingredients:
1 rabbit cut into large piece (4 legs and the back cut into 3 pieces)
1 medium onion, diced
Approx. 5 stalks celery, chopped
Approx. 8 smallish carrots, chopped
2 beets, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
water to cover
salt to taste
2 bay leaves
a few dashes dried thyme
a few dashes dried parsley

Reserve for after soup is cooked:
cooked rice

I tossed all the ingredients into the crock pot except the rice. I actually started this in the evening, so I turned it down to warm before going to bed and then back up during the day. picked all the bones out of the meat, and returned the meat to the pot. Then put some of the cooked rice into each bowl before adding the soup. I didn't put the rice into the main pot of soup, because I didn't want the leftovers to turn into a gluppy mess. The broth turned out very rich and tasty. There ended up being even more meat than I expected and the bones were very fine. I was careful to pick all the bones out, but still managed to miss some. We ate carefully. But anytime my mom makes chicken soup, we usually end up with some bones in that too.

Kimberly

No comments: