Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Sweet Shetland Sheep Times Three

A lot has happened since the last time I posted. 

My sweet Myrtle died. She got bottle jaw, and we tried everything, but she died anyways. Unfortunately that's part of raising animals, and it always seems to be my favorite ones.


Welcoming my Brother and Sister-in-law's new Son Ashton to the family. Notice the onesie. My Brother is a mechanic, so their getting him started early.


I crocheted this hat for my Sister-in-laws baby shower. It's made out of Satin Angora from the rabbits I used to raise years ago. The problem with crocheting a hat for a baby that's not here yet is you don't know how big of head its going to have. So I went by the measurements I found for a newborn hat, but when he was born, it was to small. He was 7 lbs. 13 oz. I guess our family makes big babies. So now I'm going to redo it, hoping I have enough yarn left.

Sophia taking a nap on me while visiting. She's such a little doll. I love having babies around.

If you saw my last post from the National Heirloom Expo, I posted pictures of the sweet Shetland Sheep they had there on display. Well.... My Mom got a trio of them.




 The goats were afraid of the newcomers at first. It was kinda funny. Eddie (the ram) was just trying to check them out, but they acted like we had just turned a monster loose in the pasture.


I cut down all those thistles the next day, but I still have a lot scattered through the pasture calling my name.

We sold Maestro (the bottle ram we raised) a couple days later. He had rammed me once. (Hey he put my back back in place for me!) That was to be expected being a bottle ram, and I was willing to deal with having a bottle ram, but since he had already done his job this year, and we got the new Shetland ram, we just didn't need him. Before we made the decision, I looked into crossing the Suffolk ewes with a Shetland ram, and it seems to be a very desirable cross. Since Shetlands are small it greatly reduces the lambing problems, and Shetland meat is supposedly much better than the commercial breeds of  lamb meat. I'm curious to see if the lambs will come out with short or long tails, since Shetlands are naturally short tailed, but I will have to wait till Spring 2016 to find out.

Sir Locksley died a few days ago. Lucky for me, his wife is pregnant. So hopefully their will be a boar in the litter. They are a really hard breed to find.

 I found this yarn I spun many years ago from Kool-Aid dyed mohair from the Angora goats I raised. So I crocheted a hat out of it, but haven't taken a picture of it yet.

 On one of my recent visits to my favorite doctor, we arrived early. So my Mom and I checked out the local thrift store. I found this book for $2 that I have been wanting for a long time.

 And these boutique cotton yarns for $1 each.

 And a totally hippy skirt. I love it!


Kimberly


3 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

That's a good post Kimberly. Lots of news. I'm sorry about your Guinea Pig. Also sorry about Myrtle. Having animal companions is great until they pass on, then it's very hard.

I'm glad you found the book you wanted. I haunt Amazon.com, looking for specific books long out of print that I want to acquire, and usually, within a reasonable period of time, I find them. It's always a great pleasure to get something like that you've been searching for.

We haven't had a baby in our house in a long time. My daughter was born in 1985 and my son in 1987, and neither of them are parents themselves yet.

Again, this was an enjoyable post. You should post more often!

An At Home Daughter said...

Harry ~
I know I need to post more often but actually doing so is another story. We have limited internet, and only have a older desktop computer. If we had a laptop I could get things done when at the library. Hopefully eventually that will happen.

Your daughter is the same age as me.

I do like getting books off Amazon, but I don't like how much they charge for S&H. So try to stay off of there unless there is something I want really bad.
Kimberly

McKenzie Elizabeth said...

Congratulations, Kimberly! You won the Lilla Rose hair clip. Please e-mail me your address and what size you would like to mckenziegentry93@gmail.com!!! :)
Congrats again!