Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Surprise, Surprise. Baaaaa! Continues

Well I came across an ad on Craigslist for a 1 week old female lamb for $25, and couldn't resist. I ran it by my parents, and they gave me the OK to contact the seller, to find out what breed she was. Within minutes we got a phone call from the seller to let us know she was still available, and that yes she is a woolie (I don't want hair sheep). I asked what breed? "Oh, her father is a Suffolk, her mother is a white face." There are a lot of white face breeds.... I told her we are already feeding a couple of lambs, and I handed the phone over to my Mom to arrange pick up. It turned out that she had several other people contact her, but didn't know anything about bottle feeding lambs, so she turned them down. But when I told her we were bottle feeding before I handed the phone over, she then told my Mom she had another one we could have free! It was born that morning, was a twin, and got separated from its Mother. She tried to give it back to its Mom, but she didn't want it anymore. AND SHE DOESN'T LIKE BOTTLE FEEDING. 

So we zipped on over and picked them up. She was very nice, and showed us their Mothers. I asked her what breed are her white face sheep (Hey it was worth a try.), but she didn't know. She said they are crosses of some sort. She handed me the tiny little newborn lamb. I checked the sex. Boy. I was surprised he had dents in his head like the girls. I asked if he would get horns, just to make sure, she said "No, oh its a boy. I didn't even check." I think its so funny, because every time one of our animals delivers a baby, that's the first thing we check. She did make sure that they got colostrum, so that's good, and said she would keep our phone number in case she ends up with anymore.

So here are the little darlings.

 Marigold

We haven't settled on a name for him yet.

I had a real hard time trying to get pictures, because they want to look right at the lens, and then the camera's battery died.

"Does that thing have any milk?"

Kimberly

11 comments:

Farm Girl Hannah said...

That's no fair!! I want some lambs!!

~Hannah

Tasha said...

How exciting!! They're adorable:)

How is the one with the entropion doing?

An At Home Daughter said...

Hannah,
Nanner, nanner, nanner! hahaha. Just kidding. I'm so immature.
Maybe you should get to know some sheep farmers. Bummer lambs don't seem to be very valuable to them. And don't you have a milk cow? You could raise them on the cow milk, and it would be better than formula.
Kimberly

An At Home Daughter said...

Natasha,
Maggie's eyes are fine now. We did have to re-inject her one eyelid that evening, because we must have done it to low. But it held perfectly fine after that. She has some scarring on her eyeballs, but that is to be expected as she had gone the first several days of life without treatment. She can see perfectly fine though.
Kimberly

Harry Flashman said...

They look very fragile. I hope they do ok. Two of my ferrets have to go into surgery next week for adrenal disease. Having animals is like having children.

Kelly said...

Your guys have been blessed with lambs lately :) They are precious, congratulations :)

An At Home Daughter said...

Harry,
I'm sorry about your ferrets.
Part of living on a farm is there are always joys and disappointments in raising animals. But when you are holding that sweet little baby animal in the spring, it makes all those disappointments worth it.
Kimberly

An At Home Daughter said...

Kelly,
They certainly are. Blessings from the Lord.
Kimberly

Kris said...

They are so cute! And how are the other 2 doing? Did you get the eyes cleared up?

An At Home Daughter said...

Kris,
They are growing like weeds. Yes Maggie's eyes clear up.
Kimberly

Jolie said...

I've always wanted a lamb named biscotti.... no idea why