Pages

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Fall

I know I haven't posted in a reeeally long time. I haven't forgotten about my blog. I'm going to try to be better about posting more regularly.

I want to say thank you to A Sonoma Garden for the Pharmaca gift card I won on their blog back in late August. My Mom and I finally got around to making a trip over to one of their stores. I had a lot of fun picking out my purchases. There is certainly a lot to choose from. I settled on the Flora Udo's oil 3.6.9 , Rainbow Light food based calcium, and a bottle of Home Health castor oil. I have to say I've never used castor oil, but I don't know how many times I have read about the different uses for it, so I figure its a good thing to keep on the shelf.

Anyhooo, my Mom and I gathered up our large bounty of heirloom pumpkins, and winter squash from the garden. Since we don't have anywhere to store them, we piled them all up on the front porch. Some of the varieties we grew are: Jarrahdale, Dickinson, Sucrine Du Berry, Sweet Dumpling, and Delicata. My Mom made 2 pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving, out of a Jarrahdale, and they are sooooo good. I don't know why, but I had it stuck in my head that the flesh of the blue pumpkins is also blue inside, so I got quite a surprise to see when cut open they are bright orange.




The pasture is going dormant, but there is still a little green for the goats to nibble on.


The goats have really been working hard on the berry bush nextdoor.



I really don't know how they managed to push the vines over.


They exposed this young mulberry tree that had been devoured by the vines. I was surprised that they didn't eat the bark off of it. I guess it must not taste as good.


Grazing their way home.


 Violet is ALWAYS the last one home. She gets so sidetracked eating that she doesn't realize the whole herd has gone home and left her. And of course she has to bawl the whole way home. She's so cute and sweet. Each goat definitely has their own personality.


Vicky enjoying some of the 12-row Bantam heirloom corn I was saving. I gave her this piece, and she ate every kernel off the cob. (I guess I need to clean the spider webs down there!)


I strung up some of the peppers my Mom grew. These are a few varieties of habanero's.




Fish peppers


They have such pretty stripped colors.


These is the habanero plants after all the peppers have been picked. They are at least 4 1/2 foot tall.


I just picked a bunch of these the other day to save some seeds. They are soooo pretty. They change color from purple - cream - yellow - orange - red. While picking I found a nice big red pepper, and took a nibble off the end. Boy was that a mistake! There hot! I was glad I only took a nibble : ) These tiny little peppers are packed full of seeds. I only had to open maybe 20 peppers to get several hundred seeds.


I have so many pictures that I just haven't gotten around to posting. I will try to get some more up SOON.

3 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

I liked your photos, you must have a very good camera since they come out so well. We had two black nubian goats. I got them to eat the grass in our meadow, but they ate my wife's flowers, the side of my log house, and even wiring on my F250 truck. I had to give them to a man who kept goats. He kept them as pets, in a big meadow. One of them passed away but I still see the other sometimes when I drive by there.

Beautiful pumpkins your family grew. I can raise Indian Corn but the red clay here isn't very good for much else without an awful lot of work.

Tiffany said...

Wow! Your bounty of pumpkins and squash is impressive. And those peppers look great too. Looking forward to more pictures. :)

An At Home Daughter said...

Mr. Harry-
Actually I don't have a fancy camera. I use my Moms Kodak Easy Share, which must be about 8 years old now. Sometimes I think it has a mind of its own, and not in a good way ; )

Hahaha goats sure will do that. Ours are contained to our pasture or the neighbors. I have fenced off the tree's in the back of the pasture and the side. I close them off from the tree's when the weather is cold to keep them from girdling the tree's.
We have the same problem with heavy clay in our soil also. My family has spent 27 years trying to build up the depleted soil, and its still not great. That's why I like raised beds.

Kimberly